Rental Housing Commission
DHCD serves District residents through enforcement of the Rental Housing Act of 1985, as amended, in order to preserve and increase the supply of quality affordable housing. The Rental Housing Commission is charged with enforcement of the Act.
Although the Commission is an independent quasi-judicial body, it has direct reporting responsibility to DHCD on administrative, management and budgetary matters. Its duties are to:
- Issue, amend and rescind regulations that are promulgated for enforcement of the Act;
- Certify and publish the annual adjustment of general applicability to rents and/or rent ceilings, which adjustment is based upon annual changes (if any) in the consumer Price Index for the applicable region in which the District of Columbia is located; and
- Decide appeals brought to the Commission from the Rent Administrator and the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).
How to reach the Rental Housing Commission:
The Rental Housing Commission is located at 441 4th Street NW, Suite 1140B North. The Commission can be reached by phone at (202) 442-8949.
More information related to the Rental Housing Commission and its processes can be found below.
- Procedures for Processing Rent Control Appeals
- After the Notice of Appeal is Filed
- Housing Regulations
- Sample Notice of Appeal Form [PDF]
- Sample Notice of Appearance Form [PDF]
- Sample Notice of Motion Form [PDF]
- Certification and Notice of Rent Adjustment (published in the DC Register on February 25, 2011)