Department of Housing and Community Development

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

LSW – Eligibility and How to Apply


Lead Safe Washington (LSW) provides funds to reduce lead-based paint hazards in eligible single- and multi-family dwellings. LSW will provide assistance to:

  • Income eligible owner-occupied households with at least one child under the age of 6 that either lives in or frequently visits a housing unit with existing hazards related to lead-based paint (households with a pregnant woman are also eligible)
  • Owners of rental housing units with existing hazards related to lead-based paint that are occupied by income-eligible families (these property owners must commit to affirmatively market all treated units to families with children under the age of six for three years following the abatement)

There must be signs of deteriorated paint in the unit at the time of application, as determined by a certified lead risk assessor. This can include paint that is peeling, chipping, flaking or chalking.

Rental Units

The following must apply for a rental unit to be eligible to the Lead Safe Washington Program:

  • Half of the household units must have income less than or equal to 50% of the Area Median Income, based on family size; and
  • All remaining units must have households with income between 50% and 80% of Area Median Income, based on family size.
  • Properties that have more than five units benefit from an income waiver on up to 20% of the total number of units treated.

A small percentage of vacant units on multifamily buildings are eligible. However, the owner must find future renters who meet the same income requirements that are stated above. Efficiency units are not eligible - only units that are considered appropriate for households that have children, particularly under the age of six, are eligible.


The income of the owner must be less than or equal to 80% of Area Median Income.

  • In the event that there are one to four units in an owner-occupied building, the owner must have a pregnant woman and/or a child under the age of six residing in or frequently visiting the unit.

How to Apply

To apply for LSW assistance, please contact one of the “Housing Counseling” Community Based Organization CBO’s.