Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Housing and Community Development

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Rent Control

The rent control law is the Rental Housing Act of 1985 (DC Law 6-10) as amended (the Act), which is codified at DC Official Code § 42-3501.01 et seq. Under the Act, an apartment building or apartment complex is called a housing accommodation, and a single apartment or house is called a rental unit. A renter is simply called the tenant, but the landlord is called the housing provider.

The Rental Accommodations Division (RAD) administers the Act.
The Act applies to all rental housing accommodations in the District of Columbia.  Certain parts of the Act, such as eviction protections, apply to all District tenants.  Title II of the Act is rent stabilization, which applies to any non-exempt rental unit.  All rental units must be registered with the RAD either as subject to rent control or exempt from rent control.  For any unit that is not registered with RAD, rent control automatically applies. 
The most common exemptions from rent control are for rental units that are:
  • Federally or District-subsidized
  • Built after 1975
  • Owned by a natural person (i.e., not a corporation) who owns no more than four rental units in the District
  • Vacant when the Act took effect

Important Rental Accommodations Division Update

The Rental Housing Commission finalized Rent Stabilization Program regulations for the Rental Housing Act of 1985 (Act) (D.C. Official Code 2001 ed., as amended, sect. 42-3501.01 et seq.). The rules were published in volume 68, number 49 of the District of Columbia Register on December 3, 2021 and may be viewed at Search - DCRegs. The new rules will go into effect on December 31, 2021. The rulemaking implements rules under the Act in Title 14 (Housing) of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations, Chapters 38-41. 

Please see the Rental Housing Commission’s website for further information and a public memorandum from the Commission’s general counsel for guidance on critical changes at Two Major Changes Coming to the District’s Rental Housing Laws | rhc (

The rent increase and other moratoria in effect during the declared public health emergency expired on January 1, 2022. Effective November 5, 2021, RAD no longer offers same-day service for Housing Provider’s Disclosure to Applicant (RAD Form 3), Housing Provider’s Disclosure to New and Existing Tenants (RAD Form 4), Notice of Tenant Rights Regarding Housing Provider Disclosure Forms (RAD Form 5), Housing Provider’s Notice to Tenant of Adjustment of Rent Charged (RAD Form 8), Certificate of Notice to RAD of Adjustment in Rent Charged (RAD Form 9), and all notices to vacate (collectively Notices and Disclosures) within five (5) business days of receipt. Filings of these documents must be deposited in the drop box located in the building lobby. RAD will not provide “same day service” for Notices and Disclosures submissions. After review is completed, the filing parties will be contacted for pickup options, or if filings are defective, the filing parties will be notified. A limited option to email filings is also available. For additional information, please see:

**Document Filing During Modified Operations** 

Rental Accommodations Forms

Form 1 - RAD Registration or Claim of Exemption for Housing Accommodation Form (English) (Español/Instrucciones) (አማርኛ / መመሪያዎች) (中文 / 指示) (Français/Instructions) (Korean)

Form 2 - Amended Registration Form (English) (Español/Instrucciones) (አማርኛ / መመሪያዎች) (中文 / 指示) (Français/Instructions) (Korean)

Form 3 - Housing Provider’s Disclosure to Applicant or Tenant (English) (Español/Instrucciones) (አማርኛ / መመሪያዎች) (中文 / 指示) (Français/Instructions) (Korean)

Form 4 - Rent History Disclosure for All Rental Units (English) (Español/Instrucciones) (አማርኛ / መመሪያዎች) (中文 / 指示) (Français/Instructions) (Korean)

Form 5 - Notice of Access to Records (English) (Español/Instrucciones) (አማርኛ / መመሪያዎች) (中文 / 指示) (Français/Instructions) (Korean)

Form 6 - Tenant's Notice to Housing Provider of Elderly or Disabled Status 

Form 7 - There is no longer a Form 7.

 Form 8 - Housing Provider’s Notice to Tenant of Adjustment in Rent Charged

Form 9 - Certificate of Rent Adjustment (English) (Español/Instrucciones) (አማርኛ / መመሪያዎች) (中文 / 指示) (Français/Instructions) (Korean)

Form 10 - Notice of Nonpayment of Rent and Possible Eviction (English) (Español/Instrucciones)

Form 11 - Please contact the Rental Accommodations Division on 202-442-9505 for assistance.

Form 12 - 90 Day Notice to Vacate for Personal Use and Occupancy (English) (Español)

Form 13 - 90 Day Notice to Vacate for Personal Use and Occupancy of Contract Purchaser (English) (Español)

Form 14 - 120 Day Notice to Vacate for Renovations or Alterations (English) (Español)

Form 15 - 180 Day Notice to Vacate for Demolition (English) (Español)

Form 16 - 120 Day Notice to Vacate for Substantial Rehabilitation (English) (Español)

Form 17 - 180 Day Notice to Vacate for Discontinuance of Occupancy (English) (Español)

Form 23 - Tenant Petition Complaint (English) (Español)

Form 24 - Tenant Payment Plan Complaint (English) (Español/Instrucciones) (አማርኛ / መመሪያዎች) (中文 / 指示) (Français/Instructions) (Korean)

Other Rental Accommodations Information

Tenant Payment Plan Complaint Fact Sheet [PDF]

Tenant Payment Plan FAQ

Rent Registration Process Fact Sheet [PDF]

Pamphlet - What You Need to Know About Rent Control [PDF]

A Rent Control Report for the District of Columbia [PDF]

Certification and Notice of Annual Rent Adjustment

Contact TTY: