(Washington, DC) - Mayor Vincent C. Gray today announced that the District will hold the 3rd Annual DC Housing Expo and Foreclosure Clinic on Saturday, June 4, 2011, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The Expo includes resources for all District residents, including information for renters, homeowners, potential homeowners, landlords and those facing foreclosure.
The Expo also includes the Making Home Affordable Foreclosure Prevention Event, where attendees will be able to meet face to face with their mortgage company and a HUD-approved counseling agency to work on a solution to help them avoid foreclosure. Seventeen lenders, including most major area banks, will be present to work with homeowners.
The Expo will run from 10 am – 3 pm, and the Making Home Affordable Foreclosure Prevention Event will begin at 10 am and end at 5 pm.
Other event components include:
- Keynote Address: New York Times best-selling author and personal-development expert Iyanla Vanzant will address attendees.
- Credit Counseling: Free credit reports will be provided, and attendees will be able to discuss ways to improve their credit.
- Exhibit Hall: Approximately 60 vendors will be on hand to discuss services available related to housing. Exhibitors will include community-based organizations, government organizations, lenders, realtors and others providing housing-related services.
- Workshops: A range of workshops, from Homeownership 101 to do-it-yourself home repair to avoiding foreclosure, will be offered to provide additional information on housing topics. Click here for a full listing.
“There is not a better way to celebrate June as National Homeownership Month than by kicking it off with the 3rd Annual DC Housing Expo and Foreclosure Clinic,” said Mayor Gray. “This event has something for everyone – information for those seeking to purchase, home-repair tips for current homeowners, resources for those facing foreclosure and information for the District’s renters.”
Two sessions will be offered in Spanish, and bilingual counselors will be available to assist Spanish-speaking residents.
The 3rd Annual DC Housing Expo and Foreclosure Clinic is sponsored by the DC Department of Housing and Community Development in partnership with US Department of the Treasury, the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, President Obama’s Making Home Affordable Program, the HOPE NOW Alliance, NeighborWorks America and the Greater Washington Urban League.
- 3rd Annual DC Housing Expo and Foreclosure Clinic Flyer
- Workshop Descriptions
- Online Registration for Workshops
- Documents to bring for Home Retention/Foreclosure Prevention Counseling