Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Housing and Community Development

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Mayor Vincent C. Gray and DHCD Remind Residents of Single-Family Residential Rehabilitation Program

Monday, August 29, 2011
The program provides assistance to eligible District residents in the wake of damage from Hurricane Irene and the August 23 earthquake.

Mayor Vincent C. Gray and the DC Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) would like to remind residents of the Single Family Residential Rehabilitation Program (SFFRP), which provides assistance to help households finance home repairs that will:

  • Address building-code violations;
  • Repair roofs;
  • Remove threats to health and safety, including lead-based paint hazards; and
  • Remove barriers to accessibility for persons with mobility or other physical impairments.

“The District is utilizing all available resources to help residents recover from damages sustained as a result of Hurricane Irene or the August 23, 2011 earthquake,” said Mayor Gray. “We encourage residents to take advantage of this program, which can help ensure that essential repairs are not ignored.”

Under the SFRRP Program, DHCD provides funding of loans and grants, not to exceed a total of $75,000, to affected households. The program provides financing through low or zero-percent amortized loans for up to 20 years and deferred loans (not payable until the home is sold, transferred or refinanced).

All applicants are currently subject to homeowner eligibility, which is based upon the homeowner’s income. DHCD is planning to modify existing SFFRP guidelines so that funding can be used to assist with repairs associated with damage from Hurricane Irene.

DHCD also offers the Lead Safe Washington Program, which provides grants of up to $17,500 per housing unit to eligible homeowners and investor-owners of pre-1978 housing with deteriorated lead-based paint to make those units lead safe.

For additional information, visit and click on “Residential and Community Services” under Services. You may also call (202) 442-7294 for more information.