Under the SFRRP Program, DHCD provides funding of loans and grants, not to exceed a total of $75,000, to the household. The program provides financing through 0% - 3% amortized loans, for up to 20 years and deferred loans (not payable until the home is sold, transferred or refinanced).
Under the SFRRP umbrella, homeowners can use the funding for two of the following grant programs:
- A Roof Repair grant of up to $15,000 to replace the roof. This grant pays for exterior roofing and gutter work only.
- The “Handicapped Accessibility Improvement Program” (HAIP), provides a grant of up to $30,000 for accessibility modifications needed to adjust most physical barriers within a home for persons with mobility or other physical impairments. In addition, households, where the head of household is 62 years or older, may have the first $10,000 of assistance provided as a permanently deferred loan. Deferral of additional amounts will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
DHCD develops a scope of work, selects a licensed and certified contractor through the DC procurement process, and manages the construction. DHCD will pay the contractor on behalf of the homeowner. The homeowner does not pay the contractor.
Eligible applicants must:
- Own and live in their homes as their primary residence for at least 3 years
- Be current on all District and federal taxes
- Be unable to obtain private financing for the needed repairs
- Have an acceptable credit report
- Have a current homeowners insurance
Have household incomes that are no greater than the levels shown below:
How to Apply
To apply for SFRRP assistance or to receive additional information, please contact one of these community based organizations.