The DC Department of Housing and Community Development and other housing agencies have planned a host of events in celebration of June Housing Bloom,” Mayor Muriel Bowser’s annual month-long initiative that showcases how the public and private sectors are partnering to both produce and preserve affordable housing and revitalize neighborhoods across the District.
June Housing Bloom is designed to complement National Homeownership Month, but with a more targeted focus on housing-related initiatives and successes within the District. Events will spotlight efforts to advance five key priorities: (1) producing affordable housing; (2) preserving affordable housing; (3) increasing homeownership; (4) ending homelessness; and (5) finding solutions to vacant and blighted properties.
Beyond DHCD, agencies that are holding June Housing Bloom events include:
- The Deputy Mayor’s Office on Planning and Economic Development (DMPED)
- The DC Housing Finance Agency (DCHFA)
- The DC Housing Authority (DCHA)
- The Mayor’s Office for Religious Affairs (ORA)
Key events for the month include:
- The DC Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is releasing five Solicitations for Offers (SFOs) for the development of 25 District-owned properties in Wards 4, 5, 7 and 8. The goal is to build projects that promote vibrant, walk-able, mixed-use and mixed-income neighborhoods and combat blight in the District.
- DHCD’s Eighth Annual DC Housing Expo and Home Show, co-hosted by the Greater Washington Urban League, on June 11.
- An Economic Intelligence Roundtable on housing data, hosted by by DMPED and the DC Chamber of Commerce, on June 17.
- A June 20 groundbreaking ceremony at Plaza West, a project that will provide over 120 units of affordable housing — including 50 affordable units for grandparents raising grandchildren.
- An action plan from the Mayor’s Housing Preservation Strike Force in late June that will guide policy decisions on preserving existing affordable housing in the District.
Use and share the calendar below to help you keep up with June Housing Bloom events, and check pack for periodic updates.