The DC Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) provides funding to highly qualified Community-Based Non-Profit Organizations (CBOs) that support the agency’s affordable housing and community development programs in the following areas:
- Homeownership: CBOs help residents apply to homebuyer assistance programs such as the Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP), Employer Assistance Housing Program (EAHP), and the Negotiated Employee Assistance Home Purchase Program (NEAHP).
- Home Rehabilitation/Lead Hazard Removal: CBOs help residents receive home repair assistance through the Single Family Residential Rehabilitation Program and lead paint remediation though the Lead Safe Washington Program.
- Housing Counseling Services: CBOs provide residents with financial counseling, access to homebuyers clubs, training on how to own and maintain a home, and assistance in finding for-sale and rental housing.
- Inclusionary Zoning (IZ) : CBOs run IZ orientation classes for households interested in participating in the IZ lottery process.
- Small Business Technical Assistance: CBOs provide technical assistance, support and training to small and retail businesses focusing on neglected commercial corridors in low and moderate income areas in the District.
- Storefront Façade Improvement: CBOs provide qualified business and/or property owners with professional design and construction services, and also provide construction grants to refurbish commercial storefronts.